Timeline – North Pine to Petrie


1823     Lt. John Oxley discovered the Pine River.

1862     The North Pine River Reserve was set aside for government purposes.

1864     Tom Petrie built ‘Murrumba’ homestead.

1865     ‘Petrie’s Accommodation House’ opened.

1875     A provisional school opened on the north bank of the river.

            The first police officer was appointed to the area.

1877     ‘Sir Arthur’s Bridge’ was opened by the Governor.

            The North Pine Wesleyan (Methodist) Church was constructed.

1879     The Pine River North State School opened in a new building.

1882     The North Pine Courthouse was constructed.

            Archibald Hamilton Snr. opened a general store.

1883     Alexander Jackson Wyllie purchased land in North Pine.

1884     The North Pine Presbyterian Church was opened.

1885     Charles Patterson established a blacksmith shop in North Pine.

1886     William Reid set up business as North Pine’s first bootmaker.

1887     A new building was erected for the North Pine Hotel.

            The North Pine Cemetery was officially opened.

            The North Pine Branch of the Queensland National Bank opened.

1888     The Pine and Redcliffe Divisional Boards were established.

            The North Coast Railway opened as far as North Pine.

            James Connors established a saddlery shop.

1890     The North Pine School of Arts was officially opened.

1898     The first section of ‘Lorne Villa’ was erected by the O’Loan family.



1911     The Dept. of Railways changed the name of the North Pine Railway Station to Petrie.

1925     The first trees on Anzac Memorial Avenue, two Cocos palms, were planted by the Governor.

1926     The Petrie Post Office was moved to new premises in Station Street.

1929     Gordon Jackson opened the ‘North Pine Service Station’.

            The Petrie Masonic Hall was opened in Whites Road.

1936     Construction of the new North Pine Bridge was completed.

1982     The name ‘North Pine Country Park’ was approved for the historical village project on the former Hyde family’s property.

2000     The Pine Rivers Heritage Museum was opened in the North Pine Country Park.